You just get out of the hospital and you have to start running. There is no time to waste.


Doctors appointments and follow-ups are set and by hook or by crook you are expected to be there. I am not sure how many of you will manage but I am lucky enough to have my husband as my chauffeur to drop me at the door of where I have to be.


This time last week I was laying in Emergency Room with chest pains but today I am running through hospital corridors as if it were a marathon. However, today I find that I am very slow and it is taking me much longer than usual to get where I am going. It scares me that this could be my new normal.

My first check-up is back to the hospital to get my ICD checked. It’s a mute point as I was not shocked and nothing has happened but to err on the side of caution, I am going in a little early for my 6 month check up.

I just get to the counter and I am by no means a rookie at this, but I think I lost my health card.

You can’t do that in Canada and still get free health care. I start to think of all the sheets and bed and rooms I was in last week. As panic wells up in my eyes, suddenly it is in my husband’s hand. He finds it, thank God for that. Getting that replaced would entail another visit to another government office.


Finally the clerk takes my name and directs me to go down the long hall and I wait some more.

I don’t mind the waiting so much, but it gives me time to reflect on why I am here and how much we do not know about my body and my condition. At this point I have had enough time to reflect on what we don’t know and I don’t need anymore down time.

I have many more appointments in the next two weeks to get back to my full exercise regiment that will only help me feel like a new person again.

The wait is short, I am in and out in less than an hour and hurrah!!  My ICD has not had any damage, it is not defective and I am still grateful that I have this babysitter within my chest.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This

Share this post with your friends!